Re: Accommodating strangers
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 12:22:18 -0700 (PDT)
While I agree w/ Sharon on most of her email … I’m not sure people at TV are
volunteering less to host.  I host “strangers” quite a bit.  The cleaning of
the room and the laundry I delegate to the guests.  I don’t do laundry or clean
rooms.  Some hosts will do the cleaning and laundry for their relatives or
friends.  But they don’t have to do it.  They can delegate it.

Generally, the “strangers” who want to stay here are other cohousers or folks
from intentional communities.  But we’ve had a couple of singer/songwriter
types on tour stay here who were not connected to cohousing or intentional
communities.  Plus just this year,  I signed up to host a poet working his way
up the East coast to Rhode Island. His stay has been rescheduled for later in
the year.   And for many years I hosted a profoundly disabled man and his
attendant who came to DC a couple of times a year for a meeting on
accessibility.

We do ask for a $25.00 per room per nite donation.  We receive about $6,000 per
year in donations from our guest rooms.  That’s a chunk of change for our
budget.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic