Re: Question: Religious/spiritual practices
From: Kathy Tymoczko (kathy.tymoczkogmail.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 10:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
We don't have any official policy at Daybreak, but we celebrate any
holidays, traditions, etc. that anyone wants to celebrate.  One of the
statements in our Vision Statement says "Welcoming, honoring and sharing a
diversity of experience, wisdom, heritage, beliefs and spiritual paths".
We've had Passover seders (with readings), Chinese New Year dinners, a
sukkah on the lawn with dinners held inside it, Thanksgiving, Easter, and
Christmas potlucks.  We always have an expedition to cut down a Christmas
tree for the Common House, and then an afternoon of cookie baking,
decorating, eating, tree decoration making, tree decorating, carol
singing.  We usually have a menorah or two in the great room in our Common
House during Hanukkah.  We've had a Swedish midsummer celebration with
flower wreaths and maypole and Swedish food.  We always do a winter
solstice dinner with a light extinguishing/relighting ceremony where people
talk about the endings and beginnings in their lives.  It's pretty much up
to individuals who care about a tradition to organize whatever events they
care about.