Re: Question: Religious/spiritual practices
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you to Kathy for writing such a nice statement (copied below). I think it
should be preserved somewhere for new communities to adopt. We came to the same
thing after a few years of contention. Holiday celebrations depend on a person
to organize them but all holiday celebrations are welcome.

> I'm particularly interested in how this related to common meals given the
> practice in many religions of praying prior to eating.

Praying before eating comes closer to observing religious practices in “public”
like the experience we had with Quaker and Friday night Shabbat services. We
have an open CH so all these are taking place while other people get their
mail, go to the kids room, cook dinner, etc. I don’t know how many people felt
this way but some felt uncomfortable walking by a religious service and not
participating or acknowledging it. At least whispering or not talking at
all—and this isn’t normal in the CH. Both groups stopped meeting there —
perhaps they were uncomfortable too.

Praying can be done quietly, even silently. We have had residents who routinely
bowed their heads a moment before eating. One couple who clasped hands. Both
were quick and hardly noticeable.

Having been raised in the protestant tradition, I stop whatever I’m doing when
people are praying. To not do so would feel disrespectful. But at the same
time, I would not like to be frozen by a long prayer, amens, and obvious hand
clasping in air.

I think the best way to explore this is what are other people supposed to do
while you pray, and are they comfortable doing that? Is it possible to ignore
you? Does it go on so long that everything else has to stop for an obvious
period of time? Are you imposing on others? How do Jewish members feel about
being subjected to Christian prayers. Two women organized a lovely celebratory
Christmas dinner, except that they passed out hymns that were too obviously
Christian. Everyone is welcome at all of the celebrations but they usually
don’t require doing anything that requires worship.

I’m reminded of discussions here in the 1990s about polyamory and making it
obvious in the CH. I think it is fortunate that that seems to have passed on.

Sharon
Takoma Village

>>> www.karengimnig.net