Re: "emergency plan" for a cohousing community?
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
We have some rules about Board interventions and short-notice plenaries to deal
w/ “emergencies”, but we’ve made little use of them.  Partly because we’ve not
made much effort to define “emergency”.  Once long ago we had a playground
“swing set emergency”, for which a committee held an urgent meeting to agree to
spend thousands on a replacement swing set.  ???

In the past, we’ve had mobility-impaired members living on the top floor, and a
loss of elevator would certainly have been an emergency for them.  But this is
no longer the case, and everyone now living on the upper floors can do stairs
easily, or fairly easily.  Would an elevator failure be an emergency today?
What about if the common air conditioning experiences a catastrophic failure on
the 4th of July?  Is that an emergency?  Or, should we wait for the better
replacement pricing we can get in October?

Our common house combines with 13 apartments, and a few years back, the
building heat died at about 6pm in the evening, during an actual blizzard at
6°F.  Our regular service company was unavailable, and although a team of
volunteers was struggling with the problem, I lost confidence in their ability
to get things working again.  So I called in some favors and got a plumber to
appear within 30 minutes.  The heat came back on, and neither residents nor
building froze that night.  It ended up costing the community more than $2K,
and several friends and neighbors were unhappy with me for over-riding a
committee and making unilateral choices.  If this emergency repeats itself, I
will do exactly the same thing.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing