Re: Single developer-cohousing model
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:26:28 -0700 (PDT)
Betty asked about: " understand the single developer-cohousing model, where a
    developer buys the land with the intent of developing a cohousing
    neighborhood,  then reaches out to find interested folks to make it
happen?"

This was a model that I (CoHousing Partners), Jim Leach (Wonderland Hill Dev
Co), and Don Tucker with Ann Zabaldo (Washington DC) did in the past. From time
to time someone still tries this, but it is very rare. Jim, Don and I have
either been burned by cohousing buyers or are ready to retire.  I know of no
developer that will partner with cohousing buyers without being convinced that
there is a group that can get the project sold out, and that buyer's group is
ready to put in all or at least most of the equity required to get the project
to get to the start of construction.  Developers will partner with cohousing
groups, but they tend to be looking for partners sharing the risks rather than
buyers taking little risks until the end of the project.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows of any one seeing something else.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions