Re: Rent to buy arrangements (Dick Margulis + Betty Grant)
From: gerhardleib (gerhardleibaol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 06:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
Betty & Dick:Renting may have benefits not usually thought of.  Namely, a
landlord could pass on to the renter certain tax benefits that landlords get.
The US tax code allows landlords to deduct from their income each year the
amount of interest and the depreciation.  Depreciation per year equals building
value divided by 27.5 years of useful life.
Search for "deduct depreciation from rental income" and you can read more about
it.
One website says:  "...the building value estimate is $125,000. Your
depreciation expense that you take each year against rental income would be
$125,000 divided by the IRS allowed 27.5 years of useful life (residential real
estate) for a depreciation expense each year of $4,545."

This deduction will lower the landlord's taxes in many cases.  The savings
could be given back to the renter. Over a few years, that would lower the cost
of acquisition a bit.
Wait, there is more:  the savings give-back might be considered a donation, if
you create a 501-c-3 nonprofit which helps low income people to afford a home,
then (maybe) the landlord can may a donation to that nonprofit.  You may not
have to create a 501-c-3 organization, if such a place already exists in your
state.  Or maybe a state agency might accept the donation.
This donation in turn could be another tax benefit for the landlord.  I say
maybe, because I am not a tax lawyer and so, on this issue, I could be very
much in error.
Plus one more issue for which you need to consult a tax expert:  When you sell
the rental unit, the IRS has a recapture tax on the savings you got from
depreciation.There are ways to avoid that tax, but now things get complicated.
I hope others on this mail server will chip in and set the record straight.
If you want a spreadsheet that shows the tax benefits of depreciation, feel
free to contact me:tuttyk@aol.comGary Leib    (working to create cohousing in
Providence, RI)
PS   Dick is correct that ownership is better, but only if your state gives big
subsidies for first time home buyers.  Connecticut gave a big grant to Rocky
Corner from a state bond issue. Other states are not able to do that,  or are
not as generous.