Re: Does your community clean all the common areas yourselves?
From: KAREN A CARLSON (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
Twice a month our community uses cleaners to do basic cleaning of our common
house and the stairways and corridors of our two multi unit buildings.  We use
our workdays esp in winter to do more thorough cleaning. We also have extensive
grounds and gardens that require lots of work. I think hiring out or doing all
yourself depends on how residents want to use their time doing what. When we
decussed hiring cleaners not all were on board at first. One young person said
she changed her mind about cleaners when she realized the supporters of hiring
were the ones who did the most work around the commons. The basic talking point
was that we all have households to clean so did we really want to take on
6000sf of common space cleaning?
So giving up cleaners needs to have really deep support as a lot won't get done
because so much of residents' time will be spent taking over what is now hired
out.
Good luck making your decision.
Karen Carlson
Arboretum Cohousing