Re: Play-or-Pay participation programs
From: Mary Swenson (maryswensonbellcoho.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
We at Bellingham Wa Cohousing are in the second year of a new program called
Workshare.    The play part:  each resident (owner or renter) files a yearly
plan (filled out on line) outlining what they plan to contribute and at the end
of the year each files a report looking back at their year and outlining how
the plan worked out and then filing a plan for the future year.  There’s a
standard of “good faith” meaning that their intention in both cases is to
proceed in good faith.  The covered work is very broad, ranging from standard
maintenance matters to “caring” for each other and the range of hours required
is 5-15 per month.  We have a nifty on line form to be filled out that makes it
pretty easy.  The pay part:  if the plan and/or report are not filed, the
resident pays $50 a month instead.  The intention is to have it be largely
self-regulating; a few years back we briefly tried a “turning in hours” plan,
and it fell apart immediately in part because no one was prepared to take on
the task of collecting the hours and enforcing failure to participate so we
knew we had to take a new approach.  It took us almost a year of intensive
discussion and processing to reach consensus on the workshare plan.

So far it seems to be working reasonably well.  We are amending our governing
documents filed in the courthouse to specifically allow for in kind
contributions, etc. so that the money and other parts have firm legal
underpinnings.  Time will tell whether it works in the long run.
Mary Swenson