consequences in community - redux
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 06:54:49 -0800 (PST)
Greetings CoHousers - I did a quick search about consequences in community and
there was quite a lively discussion back in 2005 - lots of war stories, most
were interested in substance. At that time, there didn't seem to be much.

After 11 years, we're going through our community declarations and agreements
and are looking for some rules enforcement consequences. I think we figured out
about how to deal with junk on porches, yelling and screaming, but not as firm
about victimless nuisance violations, like unauthorized alterations to common
property, or dogs off leash, or not participating.

The draft includes consequences that aren't realistic such as kicking offenders
out of the common house for a month, monetary fines, banishment from community
meetings - although it could be argued that isn't really a punishment.

Over time, we have members who blatantly violate the agreements, like bringing
their dog into the common house, skipping their KP duty, knowing that nothing
will be done.

Since 2005, has your community come up with workable consequences such as those
that are more asset-based than actually punitive?

Thx,

Alan O.

Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems