Re: Setting up new membership fees for Friends and neighbors in Lakeland FL
From: Lynne Markell (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:05:02 -0800 (PST)
Sounds like you are in the startup phase. Have you set up a formal organization
for this  phase?
We started a non profit organization and charged a $200 membership fee for full
members and $50 for an associate. Full members had a vote. Associates could
switch up, when they were ready.

Then we created an equity membership with terms and conditions such as being
willing to share the deposit for a bid on land and the down payment for the
mortgage. This cost of $1500 ( per household) was used along with the original
membership fees for expenses. This money was at risk, but will be credited to
the final purchase,price, if the project goes ahead.

We got two small grants to help us with some feasibility work to pay for
lawyers, consultants, etc.  Generally you should count on costs of between $30
- 50k., until you get into land and architect costs.

Benefits are an investment in a future home, larger sums being used against
final unit purchase price, first in line for unit selection, and the right to
make decisions and policies. People who join near the end may not have the same
opportunities to shape the community.
Hope this helps.

Lynne Markell,
Lmarkell [at] rogers.com