Re: HOA fees
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 10:17:02 -0800 (PST)
Hi again, Susan —

If your reserves are not funded properly … I would be extremely concerned about
this.  I’m also wondering what basic services the community wants to cut back?
If you have not seen HoA dues rise in the last few years what are you not
funding already?  If not else the cost of maintenance almost always increases.

One of the things I find difficult about condo/coop HoA dues is that it is
always based almost solely on driving down the dues.  Keeping costs contained
is important … except it’s often about eliminating pennies from various line
items in the budget.  What this mindset does is preclude any capital
expenditures to UPGRADE the community.  Maintenance and replacement is handled
by your reserves but if they are not funded properly how does work get done?
Does the fabric of the community (bricks and mortar) decline while waiting for
the reserves to be funded?

Susan it does seem as if there are some other issues in the community that is
driving this issue.  You can certainly follow Sharon’s advice about getting
very clear on what your condo association offers the members in return for
their dues.  But there is also the issue of the LONG TERM health and welfare of
the community.  You save NOW to avoid huge payments in the future.  Like Sharon
said — if you have not raised your dues in some years but the cost of living
has gone up and you’re not covering that cost … how is that sustainable?

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

They say the universe is expanding. That should help with the traffic. Steven
Wright