Re: Setting up new membership fees for Friends and neighbors in Lakeland
From: Lynne Markell (lmarkellrogers.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 09:33:41 -0800 (PST)
I live in Ottawa, so grant sources may be different in your town. One grant was
from the local community foundation that was interested in what we were trying
to do - provide a supportive community for seniors to age well. At that time we
were  attempting to provide affordable housing as well.
The other was a national alternative investment fund that helped groups prepare
for applying to them for financing.
These are very specific to our project, and we had to fit into their criteria
and get a local group that had charitable status to administer the money. We
also had people in our group that knew how to apply for grants and write grant
proposals because of their work experience in non-profit organizations. This is
a very useful skill.
Neither of these grants were specifically for cohousing.

My advice- look around your community and see who would be interested in what
you are trying to accomplish. Describe your project in terms of what it will do
for the community, how it will meet a community need, how it is innovative, or
how it will help disadvantaged people. Don't talk about about your need for
money to pay for expenses. Talk about doing feasibility work to prove it will
work or developing a plan so it can be accomplished (so it can provide some
community value)
My advice comes from years of experience and if this is new to you, find
someone who understands this and can help you. Pay them to write your grant
proposals. If you haven't already done so, hire a cohousing consultant.
The founders of a cohousing project have to put out money to plan their future
community. There will be costs, so face this and ask for money. Every group
goes through this phase.
Hope this helps.

Lynne Markell,
Lmarkell [at] rogers.com