Re: HOA Fees
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2018 08:10:08 -0800 (PST)
I’d like to elaborate a bit on the connection between community reserve funds
and household investment strategies.

First, a reserve savings account is not an end in itself, it is a means to an
end, which is: A dependably maintained property.  It is just one of many
possible funding strategies for major capital replacement projects; other
funding strategies (sometimes arrived at by default, not intent) are special
assessments and bank loans.  Communities might reasonably emphasize one
strategy over another, or rely on a blend of strategies.  Different households
may have different preferences.  But what’s driving the expense bus is not the
funding strategy, it’s the major capital projects anticipated and agreed as
necessary within a specific time horizon, like 5 or 10 or 25 years.

And, it’s definitely true that different owner households have different
relations to their home equity.  For some, it’s the major (and possibly only)
component of their net worth; for others, home equity is only a small component
of their net worth and retirement plans.  But I can’t discern any reliable
patterns between the home equity / net worth ratio, and willingness to invest
in a well-maintained commons.

Why not?  Because your home is not an investment abstraction like a municipal
bond.  Your home is your life.  Or, expressed with greater precision:  Your
home is a major component (perhaps THE major component) of a quality of life
you’re willing and able to pay for.  When you "fix up" your property, it’s not
merely because (or even primarily because) you’re making a judicious
investment; it’s also because you are producing and consuming a quality of life
that satisfies you.  Maybe it’s as simple as, You don’t want to live in a
shabby community.

A personal vehicle provides an interesting illustration.  Unlike a house, it’s
a depreciating asset, not an investment.  But despite that, I will clean out,
wash and vacuum my car at intervals.  Not because I expect to sell it at a
profit, but because I don’t want to drive around in funky car.  Clearly, some
of my friends and neighbors have very different views on this.  Some condo
owners don’t mind if the commons gets funky, so long as upkeep of the commons
doesn’t “cost too much”.  It is this divergence in lifestyle value systems, not
investment opportunities, that explains best why some people are happy to pay
into a reserve fund, and others are not.

Can cohousing communities do a better job of sorting out (or forestalling)
lifestyle values conflict than can the ordinary, average condo association?  We
like to think so.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing