Re: Property or Community Management Hire
From: Christine Johnson (christine-johnsoncox.net)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 06:29:54 -0800 (PST)
Diana Carroll <dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com> wrote:

>...typical process is for finding a property manager? A couple people in our
>coomunity put together an RfP for exactly what we want someone to do,
>including a detailed list of facilities problems that need to be addressed,

That’s an excellent beginning.  If you don’t get clear answers on what they
will/will not provide plus detailed and reasoned responses on how facilities
problems should be addressed, then that company would be one you’d not want to
contract with.

>...Do you typically start with calling a company and meeting with them or…?

I would definitely plan on meeting with the owner/sales rep and the proposed
manager.   Get answers/responses to your RFP twice if necessary.  Be attentive
for owner/rep saying one thing and manager saying another.

Community management and property management are different businesses and the
scope of management offered will differ.   Both however, typically have
standard contracts which you should ask to review prior to your meeting.

For community management, one common stipulation is that the manager is to
report to/be accountable to, the ‘president of the Board’ or named officer.
Quite rightly, a manager will not take direction from a committee!

In short, even if you have a paid manager, someone in your community still has
to manage the manager.   Sharon’s accounts of the problems with overseeing
management are common stories.   So common that if you are going to contract
for management, have your oversight plan and people in place before bringing
your new management on.  And as Sharon points out, you likely will be training
someone — again.

Christine Johnson
Stone Curves Cohousing
Tucson, AZ