Re: Property or Community Management Hire
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 07:10:42 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 13, 2018, at 9:29 AM, Christine Johnson <christine-johnson [at] cox.net>
wrote:

> That’s an excellent beginning.  If you don’t get clear answers on what they
> will/will not provide plus detailed and reasoned responses on how facilities
> problems should be addressed, then that company would be one you’d not want
> to contract with.

We recently had wonderful results in meeting with a new lawyer. We had our list
of questions but started by asking him to tell us how he liked to work with
communities. When he finished, he had answered all our questions! And more! We
were greatly relieved and reassured.

> Community management and property management are different businesses and the
> scope of management offered will differ.   Both however, typically have
> standard contracts which you should ask to review prior to your meeting.

By “Community management” do you mean the financial stuff? Payment coupons.
Late fees. Sorting out invoices?

> For community management, one common stipulation is that the manager is to
> report to/be accountable to, the ‘president of the Board’ or named officer.
> Quite rightly, a manager will not take direction from a committee!

I don’t remember what our contract says — probably president of the board — but
in actuality our treasurer does all contact on financial issues and the lead of
the facilities team for physical stuff. Sometimes for special projects another
contact will be designated, but this is not frequent.

The issue, as Christine said, is ONE person the manager can trust to be
available, informed, and correct.

> And as Sharon points out, you likely will be training someone — again.

Why is the tenure of managers so short/variable?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC