Re: Are Rules Helpful?
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 13:31:07 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

As far as I'm concerned, if I haven't heard of a rule and cannot find it written down in the record, it doesn't exist. It doesn't matter how much people say it's informal or unwritten, I do not feel obligated to remember or accept any such rules. This is especially true in cohousing, where we adopt rules by consensus -- informal or unwritten "rules" (quotation marks intentional) by their nature have not been consensed on.

Similarly, we have had discussions here where someone asserts a rule and says we adopted it at a general meeting, but no minutes nor decision log have mentioned such an adoption. Often this comes up in a situation where I know I would have objected to the rule if it had come up in a general meeting. Again, if the rule isn't in the record it doesn't exist.

In general the way I see it, if an "informal" or "unwritten" rule is objected to by anyone at any time, it has failed consensus and is not valid. The only way to then give it validity is then to actually consense on it at a meeting.

The above is the only way I know to make sure that everyone in the community has the chance to chime in on a rule, even if they are not in the "in crowd".

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing, MA