Re: Are Rules Helpful? WAS Environmental sensitivities in community?
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:30:40 -0800 (PST)
MJ Phillips <mjphillips [at] pobox.com>
after deleting quoted digest and restoring subject line.

Wow- thanks everyone for these interesting (and all very
understandable) perspectives (re chemical sensitivities, allergies,
etc in community).

There is a sizable (and, sadly, growing) group of people (including
myself) who are very sensitive to wireless and other forms of
electrical fields (symptoms include dizzyness, heart palpitations,
insomnia, fatigue, headaches, anxiety, burning/tingling and localized
pain when handling devices, etc). It’s becoming harder and harder
for such individuals to find places to live, due to the ubiquity of
wifi and cell signal. Part of my vision is to create a wireless-free
community, meaning one without wireless home appliances or phones (not
that people couldn’t use them off-site as needed and as tolerated),
and with a good buffer from cell towers and the residental wireless 5G
antennae that are beginning to be installed all over the country now.

Of course I’d like to assume that anyone moving into such a
community of self-selected "wireless refugees” would not want to use
any wireless devices, but I’ve wondered how the community might go
about establishing and enforcing this as a policy if needed (since
wireless use on the premises would seriously impact the health and
well-being of all other residents, and the whole reason they are there
is to avoid that). Obviously, upfront education/explanation about the
rationale, the health impact on all (not just some) other members, and
what the policy actually means in terms of day to day living (no
wireless baby monitors, etc) would be critical before accepting anyone
as a member. From what I read in the discussion below, it sounds like
it would also be important to get this into the bylaws from the
beginning(?).

I’d be really interested to know if there are other/additional ways
this could be handled or addressed please?

And, more generally: how do communities typically handle related
situations, ie, where fundamental principles that underlie the
group’s ability to exist are being violated (eg, non-payment of
dues, as opposed to policies/rules/agreements that have more to do
with member preferences or accomodating individual needs)? Are there
legal remedies? (Eviction? Fines? Other?) If so, what are they, and
how would you set up the paperwork ahead of time to be able to enforce
them?

If there are written or online resources about this kind of thing, or
specific people I could talk to, please let me know.

Thanks in advance… not an easy topic!

Jaffy

MJ Phillips
mjphillips [at] pobox.com
781-752-9599

(Sent from a Hard-Wired Computer - for our Health)