Re: Accessiblilty in CH Kitchens
From: Joan Sidney (jssidneysidneyfamily.org)
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:26:56 -0800 (PST)
Dick, I'm in a wheelchair & like to cook breakfast, so we removed cabinets
under the range. I'm in my house in Storrs, exploring co-housing.
Joan

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM Dick Margulis <dick [at] dmargulis.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/2018 11:07 AM, Ann Zabaldo wrote:
> > —BEGIN—
> >
> > We are planning a renovation of our community kitchen and are
> considering how to make it more accessible.   Are there others who have
> tried to do this in their community kitchens who could provide advice to us?
> >

> When we started planning Rocky Corner, because we're the first cohousing
> community in Connecticut AND because we are using state money for part
> of the work, our local health department got involved early and ruled
> that our common house* falls under their jurisdiction as a food service
> establishment (we argued otherwise, but they were adamant). As such, our
> kitchen is subject to a number of codes, one of which bears on
> accessibility.
>
> We worked with a commercial kitchen designer. He is employed by a used
> equipment dealer, and he produced a kitchen plan gratis, on the basis
> that the company will supply a good deal of the equipment. Other
> commercial kitchen designers quotes us design fees in the thousands of
> dollars.
>
> The designer was familiar with the various codes, and the plan he drew
> was ultimately approved by the health department as well as by our
> architect's code review consultant.
>
> Main takeaways:
>
> 1. All aisles are 4' wide, minimum.
> 2. One prep table is wheelchair height.
> 3. Faucets can be reached from a wheelchair.
>
> It's not clear to me that the stove will be accessible, although I guess
> the ovens will be. I'm not sure about the dish line, where height might
> be an issue. I'd have to ask about that. So, overall, I guess we're
> about halfway there, if the goal is that someone who uses a wheelchair
> would be able to do everything in the kitchen. But we meet code.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dick
> http://www.rockycorner.org
>
> * The underground plumbing and other utilities are in place and the slab
> is poured. Framing starts next week.

Joan Seliger Sidney <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/>
Body of Diminishing Motion
<http://www.joanseligersidney.org/diminishing.html> (CavanKerry), Eric
Hoffer Legacy Finalist 2015
Bereft and Blessed <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/bereft.html>
(Antrimhouse)
Special Research Associate / Writer in Residence
University of Connecticut Center for Judaic Studies and Contemporary Jewish
Life
http://www.joanseligersidney.org