Re: Community member bio's
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 09:06:23 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 4, 2019, at 11:45 AM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I wouldn't list ages because then you'll constantly have to update the
> bio page! I think that it's what people do and are part of that is
> most important no matter who you are trying to reach.

I agree with Liz. Age will be apparent from the descriptions and photos — must
have photos.

Bios are one of the most important parts of the website and the first thing
people will read. Are there people like me in this group? Are they all
university professors and I didn’t finish college? I read and write philosophy
so will I have anyone to talk to? Organic gardening and cooking is my passion —
will people laugh at me?

Bios are also the hardest to establish and keep up to date. People just don’t
like to talk about themselves. Give them examples by sending links to websites.
I advise you to have one person take this on as a responsibility—perhaps the
same person who takes calls from new people and greets people at meetings. Then
all the information will help write the bio. This person could wordsmith bios
from interviews and resumes, keep them up to date, add new people, etc. This is
very important and often forgotten after the first 10 or so members.

On children, best to show pictures of play areas, indoors and out, to attract
parents. Even put the playground on the bio list. A hypothetical picture you
hope to emulate. Have people talk about how much they want children in the
community and what they like to do with children. How much they enjoy being
grandparent or look forward to it.

Even if this page is the only page on the website it would be worth getting a
site up as soon as possible. And keep it growing.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC