Re: Community member bio's
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 12:28:21 -0800 (PST)
Our website started out with bios & photos. People were very frank about
themselves and their families. The site began before 2000 (that's when I
joined the forming group and volunteered to maintain it), back when we were
all naive and idealistic about the Internet.

At some point after 2006, after our last lots had been sold and houses built
, we rewrote the website to reflect that we were now an on-going, fully
built and sold-out community (with occasional home sales by owners), and we
removed the bios page. People were feeling much more skittish about putting
their information on-line. Also, some people love to write about themselves
and other people would rather eat sand than write about themselves. I agree
that it's very attractive to site-visitors to have the bios, but it's not
always easy to pull off.

For me personally, I realized as I was reading the bios on another
community's site a couple of years ago that it was very intimidating to see
how extremely talented and accomplished and athletic they all were ... I
felt like I would not fit into such a community and would be uncomfortable
there. So maybe there needs to be some balance between bragging and
welcoming.

Also, if you do want to have bios on the website, plan to go back to the
current residents periodically and ask for rewrites, because people's
lives, interests, and self-descriptions can change quite a bit after
several years.

   Muriel at Shadowlake Village