Re: Seeking information about work commitments
From: Jerry Koch-Gonzalez (jerrysociocracyforall.org)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:19:50 -0800 (PST)
Ours is 6.5 hours a month, though realistically the average is higher. This
includes cooking and cleaning for two meals a week with 40-50 people at
each. We have a pay or play choice. Pya is at $15 hour. It is rarely used.
Jerry, Pioneer Valley Cohousing

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 9:43 AM Tom Smyth <tom [at] tomsmyth.ca> wrote:

> At Touchstone we use Gather (https://info.gather.coop) to run our work
> program. The work committee enters all the jobs and the system computes how
> many work hours per per person that works out to over the work period (4
> months in our case). Folks can get accommodations/exemptions if needed. If
> it's too many, we cut or reduce some jobs.
>
> Then at an appointed time everyone goes in and picks what jobs they want
> for the period. It works amazingly well (of course I'm biased but feedback
> is generally quite positive). We have very high participation in our work
> program and it's a fundamental part of the community.
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 9:03 AM Bree Kalb <breekalb [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At Pacifica Cohousing in Carrboro NC, the expectation is 4 hours a month
> > per household. If a household gets more that 8 hours in the hole, their
> > monthly dues are increased that month $15 for each hour in the negative.
> > Some households have more money than time, so they make a deliberate
> > choice.
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 8:48 AM Mary English <mary.english [at]
> > hsc.utah.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In Wasatch Cohousing, (26 units on 4 1/2 acres) the work requirement
> is 2
> > > hours a month.
> > >
> > > As to what communities do if someone does meet their work commitment,
> > that
> > > I couldn't tell you.
> > >
> > > If it ever happened in my community, I know I would probably be in the
> > > hospital trying to recover from a heart attack after the shock.
> > >

> > > Mary English

​
Jerry Koch-Gonzalez  413-687-5444
Co-Founder
, Sociocracy For All <http://sociocracyforall.org/> and  New England NVC
<http://newenglandnvc.org/>
Founding Resident, Pioneer Valley Cohousing Community
<http://cohousing.com/>

To talk to me about sociocracy or NVC, go here:
https://talktojerry.youcanbook.me