Re: Seeking information about work commitments
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 22:33:29 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, long-established in Port Townsend WA. In our nearly 30
years we have tried various job schemes, but for many years now it has been
purely voluntary. People choose to work with a committee (or not), to attend a
3-hr work party held most months (or not), to cook community meals or clean up
from them (or not), tend the perennial food plants like the fruit trees (or
not).

I remember someone familiar with many cohousings-- maybe Rob Sandelin-- said it
was typical that a quarter of the people would do little, a quarter would be
"worker bees" (my friend calls us the Diligentsia), with the rest on a spectrum
in between. Those of us who participate the most get the most sense of
community. And most of the work gets done.

We are clear to potential joiners that there is an EXPECTATION of
participation, that that is a part of our community life. Cooks get applauded,
meal clean up is spirited and involves lots of us, work parties are followed by
hanging out over food and beverages. Ideally, participation is rewarding in
itself. So far that's working for us.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org