Re: Seeking information about work commitments
From: S. Kashdan (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 22:48:48 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

At Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle Washington we have a chores system
which has been working fairly well for about ten years. It does not involve
any money. But it does involve public announcements about plans for doing
chores together or coordinated with each other and report-backs of chores
done.

The chores that need to be done every week, such as taking the yard waste to
the curb for collection, or need to be done less frequently than once a
month, such as replacing burnt-out lightbulbs in common areas, or taking
care of the laundry room and equipment, are taken on by individuals on an
ongoing basis. When an individual can no longer do the task they volunteered
for, they announce that both at a community business meeting and on our
internal e-mail list, and another person will take it on.

The meals program is not included in the chores arrangement either. All
adults who participate in the meals program are asked to cook and/or clean.
But elders and others who can't do either for whatever reason are still
welcome at meals. Everyone also pays $4 for adult servings for meals they
attend.

We have an operations team that takes care of maintaining and replacing,
etc. our buildings and appliances in them.

Our landscape team takes care of the property outside the buildings,
including organizing work days when they feel it is appropriate.

For cleaning in common areas, we have three main chore groups, the A, B, and
C chore groups.  Each chore group is scheduled to clean during four months
of the year. Chore group A cleans during January, April, July, and October.
Chore group B is scheduled to clean during February, May, August, and
November. Chore group C cleans during March, June, September, and December.

All adults are encouraged to join a chore group, and children are also
welcome.

During a break in our monthly community Business meeting the chore group
that will be doing chores in the upcoming month agrees on a work day or days
that they will work together during their designated month. So, during the
January community business meeting chore group C gets together to discuss
when they will work together during February.

The chore group's designated day to work together is announced after the
break, and later posted on our internal e-mail list so chore group members
who were not at the monthly community business meeting will be informed and
encouraged to participate.

Those who are not available on the designated work day can agree to do some
cleaning on their own at another time during the month.

After the break in our monthly community Business meeting the chore group
that did chores in the previous month gives a summary of what they did and
how it worked out.

So, during the January community business meeting chore group C tells
everyone how their cleaning activities in December went.

Those who may not be able to work directly on the chores for some reason can
assist by providing snacks or childcare of some other support.

Including the chore group announcements of plans and report-backs at the
monthly community business meetings encourages many people to participate in
the cleaning activities. Also having chore groups meet together to do the
chores helps. No money is involved. The motivation is social and personal
responsibility. So people with more limited financial means don't feel put
upon either.

Not everyone participates. But enough people do to get most of the cleaning
done. And, sometimes, if there are some outstanding chores that need doing,
someone will put out a special call for doing what is necessary.

Cohousingly,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan
Community Outreach Liaison