Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 180, Issue 11
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 09:34:01 -0800 (PST)
I'm not clear just what situation is being described in this post. I'll respond
as a long-built community, of the sort called lot-development, which means buy
in does not include your house, which you pay for yourself, either having it
built, or buying on resale a home someone else had built.

Other than the members' housing, one has to fund a development budget for
things like land, infrastructure, permits, professionals, common amentities
such as a commonhouse, playground, gardens or whatever.  Presumably this also
covers the basic furnishings and equipment for the common holdings.

Once development is done, ongoing assessments, annual dues if you will, fund
operating expenses, reserve accrual for eventual repair and replacement of
common holdings, and any additional expenses the group agrees to.