Re: fees for new members
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:25:00 -0800 (PST)
Accidentally sent before completing!

> I'm part of Village Hill Co-housing. We are a new community in Northampton,
> MA and are seeking information on what initial fees new members pay as they
> join and what these might cover, e.g. common house furniture, kitchen
> equipment, landscaping, etc.

I'm not clear just what situation is being described in this post. I'll respond
as a long-built community, of the sort called lot-development, which means buy
in does not include your house, which you pay for yourself, either having it
built, or buying on resale a home someone else had built.

Other than the members' housing, one has to fund a development budget for
things like land, infrastructure, permits, professionals, common amentities
such as a commonhouse, playground, gardens or whatever.  Presumably this also
covers the basic furnishings and equipment for the common holdings.

Once development is done, ongoing assessments, annual dues if you will, fund
operating expenses, reserve accrual for eventual repair and replacement of
common holdings, and any additional expenses the group agrees to.

Prior to having actual lots to sell (when we still had to finish paying for the
land, and redesigning it into a Planned Unit Development) we had an initial
buy-in of $10,000 which was the beginning of funding our development budget,
credited to one's eventual lot purchase. This gave one rights to decision
making, as well as lot choice, once the lots were available for purchase.

Now, it's all resales, and there is no joining fee for those. It just
establishes membership, and thus is part of the annual assessment
responsibility.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org

  • Fees for new members Gretchen Courage, January 19 2019
    • Re: fees for new members Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah, January 21 2019