Seeking residents to share a large cooperative home
From: Hope Horton (hopematrixfastmail.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 07:54:10 -0800 (PST)
Looking for community right now?  Hart's Mill is a forming Ecovillage in the Triangle area of North Carolina (www.hartsmill.org) dedicated to living in justice and harmony with each other and the land.  We are in the development stage and have no village on the land yet. But currently, four members are living in an adjacent large home (called "Hart's Nest) with access to 120 acres of woodlands, farmlands, and waterways.

We are looking for an individual or couple to share this experience of community building and cooperative living.  The house is located between Mebane and Hillsborough, just west of Durham and Chapel Hill.  With a major highway less than 2 miles away, we offer peaceful rural living within easy reach of urban centers.

Hart's Nest serves as the interim common house for Hart's Mill. We have community gatherings, provide support for the farm, and host visitors from time to time.  The two couples who live here are in their 60's and 70's.  We've worked out marvelous ways of living together and welcome others of any age to consider joining us.

This 5000 sq. ft. house was built in 2000 and has 5 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, pure well water, WiFi, and spacious shared space including a kitchen, music/sitting room, living and dining rooms, a deck, and other multi-use spaces.

We are the primary meeting venue for the Hart's Mill Community. All residents of Hart's Nest are encouraged to participate richly and fully in the Ecovillge, as you are able.  We are looking for people who find these living possibilities exciting.  An interest in "life in community" is essential.  Flexibility and adaptability in opinions and behavioral patterns is extremely useful.

*How we live:* Cooperatively but independently.  Breakfast together is common.  We are a mix of omnivores and vegetarians who respect and honor the dietary choices and needs of others.  We are caring, sharing, and compassionate with our housemates (and ourselves).  Weekly house meetings help us to stay on track. General willingness to pitch in when needed or evident helps to keep the household running smoothly.

*Advantages:* Privacy in the context of a large, well-appointed shared home; Sharing life's events/stories/joys/sorrows with other caring adults; Economies of scale regarding household tasks--you don't need to do it all!; Country living with tons of outdoor possibilities; immediate access to a pond and 2.5 miles hiking trails; Farming opportunities on the land; Electric vehicle charger; Ample parking (outdoors); WiFi, internet and cellular service; 5 chickens and a happy rooster provide fresh eggs daily; the incredible experience of participating in the creation of a culture-shifting, sustainable agrarian intentional community.

*Caveats:* Not easily handicap accessible; No pets (due to allergies); No smoking or illicit drugs; No cable or satellite TV (but streaming is available).

*Rent:* $795/mo. for individuals; $1,195/mo for couples. Rent includes everything but food and beverages.

Interested?  Contact Hope Horton--hopematrix [at] fastmail.com or Paul Voss--voss [at] hawkweed.net
We look forward to talking with you!
*//*

Hope Horton <hopematrix [at] fastmail.com <mailto:hopematrix [at] fastmail.com>>