Re: Rental of rooms or Air BnBs?
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 07:26:37 -0800 (PST)
A couple of additional considerations:

Sprinklers, if you can afford them, are safety systems highly effective in
protecting both life and property.  Fully sprinklered buildings often get
significant breaks on their property insurance, so it’s possible that a
sprinkler system might “pay for itself” after a number of years.  It’s worth
checking out.

More to the point:  The practicality of renting out your commons may depend in
part on the design of your property.  I know of one community in an urban
neighborhood that collects five-figure money annually for renting out the
commons as a kind of multi-purpose community center — BUT … the site and
building design place this commons on a street frontage with a “back” door,
such that visitors can come and go without traveling through the private
greenspace and “front” door on the opposite side.  At Cornerstone, the only way
into the common house is through our most important central outdoor commons, so
regular “outsider” events would have a big impact on community life.

Finally, there’s a big difference between between hosting daytime events versus
renting beds for overnight accommodation of strangers.  My personal opinion is
that the former is worth looking into, and the latter is a can of worms.  If
you really want your community to enjoy an income stream from running a
micro-hotel, you should try a design where the hotel is very clearly isolated
from the community commons.  (And Mr Margulis is right: Local public officials
will be taking a very strong interest in your hotel business …)

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

mobile: 617.460.4549