Re: Rental of rooms or Air BnBs?
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 07:38:55 -0800 (PST)
On 1/27/2019 10:26 AM, Philip Dowds via Cohousing-L wrote:
Sprinklers, if you can afford them, are safety systems highly effective in protecting both life and
property.  Fully sprinklered buildings often get significant breaks on their property insurance, so
it’s possible that a sprinkler system might “pay for itself” after a number of years.
It’s worth checking out.

We are including sprinklers in all of our residential units. Residential sprinklers run off the domestic water supply and are quite inexpensive when included in new construction. And you're right. They will pay for themselves in reduced insurance costs.

Because the common house was ruled a commercial building by our local officials, however, the sprinkler system there would have been prohibitive. We'll have a fire suppression system over the stove, and we'll have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, of course. But the building won't be sprinklered. That said, the reason has to do with our particular situation. Every group has to do the due diligence to answer the question for themselves.

Dick