Response to Morgan Frost re: childcare issues
From: Rita Bullinger (ritabullingergmail.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 08:49:00 -0800 (PST)
Hi Morgan!
Here at Germantown Commons in Nashville, we had a childcare policy of sorts but
it has fallen by the wayside now that we only have one four-year-old child
living in our community. When we had two children we allocated money after
conferring with the moms and dad about a healthy wage from our HOA budget. Our
membership took a lot of time and care in specifically asking for our young
parents’ input in the drafting and execution of our policy.

However, I think our mistake was in putting the responsibility on the moms and
dad to find the child-minder and pay her/him and then get reimbursed by the HOA.
What I recall happening is that it was just easier for the parents to not
attend meetings than go through the trouble of procuring childcare.
Also, the parents of our newborn basically stopped attending anything during
the first year of their baby’s birth. And then they moved to another state.
Our loss.

I think parents have too many responsibilities over all. If I get to have any
say in how we handle childcare in the future, I think I’d ask for a
child-minder “partner” among the membership who will be the on-the-spot
arranger of childcare for the parent/s for all of their needs regarding
participating in community events. That way the finding a childcare person
would be on the back of the partner who would act upon the requests of the
parent/s. The partner would arrange for, meet and greet, pay and thank the
child-minder — essentially do everything regarding the care of the
child-minder, leaving the parent/s free from all worry and labor.

Also, having a childcare policy in place can act as an assurance to new and
current members who are parents or want to have children that the community
cares about this vital and important job. Our members love and welcome children
and have made our common house childproof and designed a kids’  playroom right
beside the kitchen and dining room. A few of us have grandchildren and older
children who while they don’t reside in our community are always welcomed and
celebrated.

Thank you for your question, Morgan. I hope this has been helpful. Looking
forward to seeing you and your lovely family again real soon.
Rita Bullinger
Germantown Commons
Nashville, Tennessee