Re: Rental of rooms or Air BnBs? (Linda Smith)
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:23:18 -0800 (PST)
Kathy - I know what you’re saying. Similar questions are asked for reverse
mortgages. The HOA does pay income tax. As far as I know, we don’t meet the 35%
commercial threshold, plus, community members aren’t excluded when community
areas are used by outsiders.

The common house is built to commercial standards.

The guest room has a reservation system, residents pay $x and outsiders pay $y
(I didn’t mention that outsiders must have a resident sponsor/monitor). We are
considering penalties for same day cancellations. I’m interested in setting up
a cohousing guest room network to coordinate reservations among communities.
There’s a platform in development called fairb&b that looks like it may be a
good fit.

I like to stay in coho guest rooms when I travel, and I know others do, too. We
get quite a few people interested in coho and let them stay so they can kick
the tires.

Thx

Alan O

Alan O'Hashi - Cyber Office