Re: Farming in community
From: Rich Wilber (richwilbercomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 07:19:14 -0800 (PST)
Emilie,

I love the idea of combining art with farming! My wife and I recently went on a
trip to Cuba on a farm tour organized by Food First. One of the farms was La
Coincidencia, where they also believed art should be an integral part of the
farm. There were sculptures scattered throughout the farm, a ceramic workshop,
and art workshops for people of all ages. We were also served a farm to table
lunch, with every bit of the food coming from the farm.

You can see some pictures here (not mine, this was from a different group):
https://www.uky.edu/Ag/Horticulture/Geneve/HortClub/Coincidencia%20farm.pdf

Question: The CSA fee covers all expenses of farming? I'm assuming this means
any seeds, soil amendments, etc. What about infrastructure, tools, fencing,
farm equipment? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this isn't covered in
the CSA fee. Is the plan to have the HOA purchase all of this? Would this be
covered by a special fee?

This is one of the questions we are grappling with, how to handle the financial
aspects of the farm. Leasing to a farm entity would remove the financial burden
on the residents, and part of the lease can be paid in vegetables. On the other
hand, having the farm managed by the residents would give everyone more of a
stake in its success and make it more of an integral part of the community.
There are legal aspects to be considered as well. This is why we were curious
how other communities with farms set up the relationship between the farm and
the community.

Rich Wilber
Rocky Corner Cohousing