Re: Question about using addendums
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 12:07:50 -0700 (PDT)
> On Apr 17, 2019, at 1:25 PM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:
>
> We're also reworking our Bylaws and have the same issues about what belongs
> in Bylaws and what is guidance.

Our lawyer said that “Policies” are as legally enforceable as the Bylaws. They
explain or elaborate on Bylaws. In DC, the policies and bylaws are included in
the resale packet that each new owner receives and vows to follow.

The Bylaws may say that owners have the right to rent their units for limited
periods of time with the approval of the Membership, for example. A policy
would spell out “limited,” the grounds for approval, and basic approval process.

Guidelines or instructions might include an application form, a sample lease,
etc. More temporal things like calendars, deadlines, etc.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC