Re: NVC and conflict resolution
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 08:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
i think nvc and its ilk are good, and folks intellectually get the idea and
concept behind nvc, but asking an entire community - 30 to 50 people or more -
to integrate it into everyday life while 'on campus' is the biggest challenge.

cohousing is antithetical to what my friend and colleague, yana ludwig, calls
the competitive world view - winning is better than losing, clawing their way
to the top, rugged individualism, manipulating the system for self interested
purposes. cohousers shaking that view which they've had pounded into their
heads since grade school is a tough assignment.

my guess, 85 to 95 percent of neighbor interactions are routine. the few
conflicts that happen don't provide much real world time to practice.

we went through a truncated training - not nvc but a version of it. not
everyone in the community attended, and some of those who didn't were the ones
who are the conflict initiators, so that was counter productive. in my view, it
ultimately wasn't worth the few bucks we paid nor worth the time.

in the real world, the dynamics of conflict happen when you'd least expect
them. gathering one's nvc wits and having to think too much about the 'steps'
takes too much time to respond, unless it comes naturally. thx
alan o.

Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems
 http://www.alanohashi.com/ecos