Re: Coordinating Committees
From: S. Kashdan (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 21:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Karen,

This is Sylvie Kashdan of Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle, Washington,
built in 2001.

At Jackson Place Cohousing we have a coordinating committee that meets once
a month, generally two weeks before our monthly community business meeting.
It consists of our two co-coordinators, legally known as our condo president
and vice president, our secretary, and representatives from our various work
groups, which we call teams. So, every month someone from the operations and
maintenance team, someone from the finance team, someone from the landscape
team, someone from the kitchen/meals team, someone from the youth team, etc.
attend. Each of them needs to be prepared to report on the progress of
projects and activities being dealt with by the team they are speaking for.

People participating in special projects, such as the nominating committee
for new officers, or a solar panel committee, or emergency preparedness,
also report to the coordinating committee before reporting in the community
business meeting. .  In addition, anyone else who wants to attend to discuss
a proposal or just to listen and possibly comment can attend.

The main jobs of the coordinating committee are to help everyone know what
others are working on so things can be coordinated, and to plan the upcoming
community business meeting.

The whole group decides on the agenda for the community business meeting,
the amount of time allotted to each topic that will be discussed, and makes
sure there will be someone to do set-up, a facilitator, a timekeeper,
childcare, and coordination of chore teams for cleaning the common areas.

The minutes from that meeting are shared with those who participated over
e-mail and comments and corrections invited. After a week, the finalized
minutes are posted on our community-wide internal e-mail list for everyone
to read over in preparation for the community business meeting.

This process has worked pretty well over the last 19 years.

Cohousingly,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan
Community Outreach Liaison