Re: Coordinating Committees
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonmac.com)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 09:17:52 -0700 (PDT)
Our coordinating committee is called our Steering Team. Here’s info from our
Teams agreement <https://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/teams.html>:

Steering Team
 <>
Purpose
To facilitate the community in living in accord with its Vision, Values, and
Interpersonal Agreements and in accomplishing its Goals.

Number of Members
4 to 6

Qualifications of Members
Team members must be resident members of Heartwood.

Selection Process
By January 31 of each year, the Steering team solicits at least 2 volunteers
for a Nominating task force. By the last day of February, based on community
input and their own judgement, the Nominating task force proposes a slate of
from 4 to 6 member candidates along with their selection criteria and rationale
for the proposed slate. The slate cannot include any members of the Nominating
task force. To ensure continuity, ideally at least half of the candidates
included on the slate are current members of the Steering team. A member may
only serve up to 4 consecutive one year terms. The community decides how many
members (4 to 6) will serve on the Steering team and who the members will be.
If a member resigns during their term, the community may choose to replace that
member or leave the spot vacant.

Responsibility & Authority
Overall responsibility for long term community planning and day to day
community embodiment of our Agreements.

Specific Responsibilities and Authorities
Community Goals and Objectives
• Lead the community in establishing community Goals. – Full Authority
(community decides on Goals)
• In collaboration with the other teams, establish community Objectives to
accomplish community Goals. – Proposal Authority
• Ensure that community Goals and Objectives are met. – Full Authority

Community Topics and Decisions
Schedule Community Meetings, Retreats, and Special Meetings. Prepare agendas. –
Full Authority (in collaboration with Process & Communication team)
Update Agreements based on community decisions. – Full Authority
Ensure that community decisions and agreements are followed. – Full Authority
Ensure that covenants are followed. – Full Authority (consistent with covenants)

Team Oversight
• Create and dissolve teams. Create their responsibilities and authorities. –
Proposal Authority
• Create and dissolve task forces. Create their responsibilities and
authorities. – Full Authority
• Allocate responsibilities and authorities amongst teams and task forces. –
Full Authority (with agreement from affected teams and task forces)
• Ensure that teams and task forces are fulfilling their responsibilities. –
Full Authority

Financial
• Spend community money (sign checks) within budget limits. – Full Authority
• Manage community contingency budget. – Full Authority
• Oversight of the Humanitarian Fund (as detailed in the Budget and Assessments
Agreement) – Full Authority

Maintain community calendar. – Full Authority

Serve as members of the Heartwood Ranch HOA Board of Directors – Full Authority

Oversee and ensure compliance with Community Work Agreement. -- Full Authority

Create Nominating task force by January 31 of each year. – Full Authority

Coordinate with Mac as needed in scheduling community decisions related to the
Phase 2 development. – Full Authority

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
                      - Soren Kierkegaard