Re: Feedback on Participation Policy
From: Tom Smyth (tomtomsmyth.ca)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 21:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Chris! Gather has an extensive work system in addition to meals. It is
based on making all the community's work visible by entering jobs in the
system. Everyone chooses which jobs they'd like and does an equal share (in
hours) of the work. The work committee grants accommodations for those with
limited ability.

We find that by making the work visible in this way, the problem of
non-compliance all but vanishes. The social norm around participation in
the work system is so strong that people flaking out has not been a problem.

I'll be presenting about this system at the conference later this month
(the 'Cohousing as a Social Enterprise' session) if anyone would like to
learn more and discuss.

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Chris Terbrueggen <christopher402 [at]
gmail.com>