Re: Common house shared laundry
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
At Cornerstone, 23 households live in apartments in two multi-story apartment
buildings.  In total, there are five residential corridors serving about 4-5
apts per corridor.  Each corridor has a laundry closet with one washer and one
dryer.  Most apartments rely on convenient access to the common washer/dryer
set-up, but a few have chosen to maintain private washer/dryers within their
dwelling unit.  Meanwhile, the nine townhouses tend to have washers and dryers
in their basements, but occasionally a townhouse will forego its own dedicated
appliances and instead use one of the laundromats in the commons.

So:  Averaging it out, five washer/dryer pairs are serving roughly 20-22
households.  We probably have “too many” washer/dryers, but there’s never a
laundry day log jam — and apartment dwellers appreciate the convenience of a
shared washer/dryer combo just outside their doors.  For those of you who think
laundry time is quality social time (no, I’m not being facetious, just
realistic about diversity of personal habit), then centralized laundry might be
a better choice.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing