Re: Common house shared laundry
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 11:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
At Swans Market Cohousing in Oakland only 2 of our 20 households opted for in
unit laundry hookups.  Everyone else uses our laundry room in the Common House
where we have 3 washers and 3 dryers (not commercial ones). We charge per load,
currently 85 cents per wash and 75 cents per dry.  We just have a sheet where
everyone checks off their loads as they do them and twice a year we bill folks.
 The money goes into a separate laundry reserve fund which we use for repair
calls and replacing machines and reimbursing the general operating account for
water and gas used.  The laundry room is pretty busy, especially on the
weekends.  Everyone was given a mesh laundry bag to put small items in so they
don’t clog the drains.  We’ve had fewer service calls since then. I’d say the 6
machines is about right for 30 adults and 3 toddlers, 1 teen, and 1 young adult
college kid who’s home on school vacations (our current demographics).
    Bonnie Fergusson

Sent from my iPad