Re: Washers & Dryers
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 18:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
      I forgot to mention, we use a system of magnet letters to identify whose
laundry is in a given machine (our units are identified by letter rather than
number so this makes sense) and have three big plastic tubs that live in the
laundry room.  If someone’s load is finished and you want to use the machine
you unload their laundry into one of the plastic tubs and take their
identifying letter off the machine and put it on top of their laundry.  Then
the machine is available for use and you can put your laundry in it and your
identifying letter magnet on the machine.  This avoids having to track down
folks who are slow to unload their laundry when it’s done.  We have 3 of each
letter available so you can identify up to 3 loads at a time.  There is a list
of which people are in which unit but we’re a small enough community that we
mostly know that.
     We also have shelving where people can keep their laundry soap etc
(labeled by unit letter to avoid confusion) so you don’t have to carry that
stuff to the laundry room each time.  We also have a place to hang stuff up as
you take it out of the dryer so it doesn’t get wrinkled. And a shelf for lost
items (someones sock or napkin invariably gets left behind in the washer or
dryer or dropped on the floor, so you need a place where folks can reclaim
them).  All useful to think about if you are designing your laundry room from
scratch. We’ve been around 19 years now so have had time to figure out what
works.
         Bonnie Fergusson
       Swans Market Cohousing (20 units)
       Oakland, CA