Re: Satisfaction (Happiness) Surveys?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 07:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 23, 2019, at 4:45 PM, Mac Thomson via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:
>
> Heartwood Cohousing (rural SW Colorado, 24 homes) is contemplating creating a
> satisfaction survey. We might ask more big picture questions like, “How
> satisfied are you with your life here?”, and some more specific questions
> like, “How satisfied are you with the common house laundry facilities?”

Every few years we have done a preference survey for members to rate from 1-5
stars their view of something. What do you think needs more attention? Which
are priorities for you? etc. Many of the items will be standard ( stove, ovens,
compost bin, etc) and others more specific to a problem a few people have
identified: Compliance with composting guidelines, rebuilding triangle bed,
noise from CH HVAC.

The rating system allows you to see a range of responses, not the majority vote
of yes/no. Some items will be all 1’s and 5’s. Others 2s and 3s.  Others 4s and
5s. The numbers are easily tabulated with one person reading the numbers from
each survey form and another typing them into a spreadsheet. We post the
tabulations so everyone can see the ranges. (no names)

One issue to prepare for is that in the meeting when you pass out the survey
there will be 3-5 additional items requested. To facilitate talking about these
leave some numbered or lettered spaces. Then you can review them by number to
be sure everyone has the right items written in. (We also ask people for items
before we finish typing up the survey but there are always more.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC