Re: To HIre or Not to Hire a Cohousing Consultant?
From: Pat McAulay (naturepataol.com)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 22:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
Pardon my coming to the party late; recent cataract surgeries made laptop work
first impossible and then just difficult, but all better now!
I wanted to respond to Frances because we feel so strongly in favor of
involving a consultant. In 2014, my wife and I thought we wanted to start a
cohousing community, but we had no idea how to make it happen.
While attending the regional cohousing conference in Boulder that fall, we had
"between the sessions" conversations with three separate forming communities
who each described to us a lengthy languishing process (up to 8 years) at last
resolved by bringing in cohousing professionals. With those strong
endorsements, we resolved to skip the languishing part and jump right in with a
consultant from the beginning.
Luckily, we met up with Katie McCamant of CoHousing Solutions at the national
conference the following spring. We had barely begun speaking with people about
our plans, and we hadn't found our land yet. Katie set us on the path to bring
our project together and has guided us through the process ever since. We're
now happily building, having just closed on our construction loan, and we're
looking at move-in next spring!
I strongly recommend that you involve a professional with experience in
creating successful cohousing communities, and, of course, I can't say enough
good about working with Katie! She's at this weekend's huge cohousing
conference in Portland, so you might be able to snag some time with her there.
Pat McAulayVillage Hearth CohousingDurham, NC
A 55+ intentional community for LGBTs, straight friends and allies