Re: How does your community handle outdoor lighting?
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 06:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
Dawn - The first thing, there are no rigorous data that indicate more "public"
lighting equals less crime. Not that any of this is applicable, but in the
People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado I happened to be on the city Planning
Board at the time the city placed a huge shroud on the lights of Boulder.

Where I live, there is minimal street lighting and it's very dark. Dog walkers
and pedestrians use flashlights. Lights must have sconces that reduce the
amount of light that escapes upward/outward and focuses the light downward.
Even on our private community property, the sidewalk lights focus the light
downward. We have lighting on the outdoor stairways that are positioned under
the bannisters.

There are engineering companies that specialize in lighting. I suggest that
during your due diligence process you contact one to ask them about the best
type of lighting for your particular community. In a rural area, I would think
that light pollution would be particularly noticeable. People live in sparsely
populated areas, in part, because of the dark skies.

Thx,
Alan O.

Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems