Re: How does your community handle outdoor lighting?
From: KAREN A CARLSON (kcarlson2wisc.edu)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 07:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
Dawn:  Everything Alan says makes great sense. I don't know about rural areas
but  a number of cities have a "night sky" ordinance which prohibit lighting
that escapes upward. As a dog walker not only do I resent private households
lighting public spaces (eg sidewalk) but I really dislike the "cool" spectrum
lights that are too bright and are uncomfortable to view when contrasted with
darkness.
Our community went thru a long process to decide how much lighting was needed
to be on all the time (vs motion activated) in our large underground garage. A
good compromise was reached as everyone felt they had input.
 If possible in your setting see if various placement of motion activated
lights will be acceptable to all.

Karen Carlson
Arboretum Cohousing
Madison, Wi