Re: How does your community handle outdoor lighting?
From: David Bygott (davidbygottyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 08:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
We faced the same issue and spent about 10 years debating it, as Tucson is
supposedly a ‘dark-sky’ area, but rattlesnakes are common too. Eventually the
safety and visibility and legal concerns won out, and a proposal was approved
and funded by the community, thanks to an energetic community member who worked
out the details and made it happen. We chose a system of low-voltage (12V DC)
path lights with metal fixtures, stems about 18” high and broad shades 8” wide
to direct the light downwards and outwards rather than upward, LED bulbs for
economy and durability, units spaced about 7-8 yards apart. We determined the
spacing by experiment - putting some of the lamps on moveable stands and moving
them around till we got it right. The connecting cables are buried only 6” deep
and fed by a transformer fitted with a photocell for timing. We hired an
electrician to put in some outdoor 110V AC receptacles to feed the
transformers, and we were able to do the rest of the installation ourselves
without specialized skills. The result was very satisfactory and we now have
enough light to see where we are stepping at night.

David Bygott
Milagro Cohousing, Tucson AZ