DocuWiki
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 13:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
We have had a Google wiki to record all the information about the facilities —
vendors, IP addresses, network settings., sump pump replacements, paint colors
— everything. But Google we found out too late had a size limit. We were
reaching it when they also decided to close down classic sites and transfer
everyone to a new format. Once we transferred, they started changing options.
All the menus are hidden — takes too much time to find things unless you are
just reading. I can’t get email notifications when someone adds or changes
information. And, the major promise— that we could download our data,
disappeared within a few months. We could save it to Google Drive BUT it is
already too big.

I finally  just gave up and spent 36 hours testing Wiki software and learning
how to set one up, and setting one up on our own ISP. I’m using DocuWiki
because it seemed to be the most robust and wysiwyg. So far so good. But I’m
the only one who knows it. The team is hesitant about switching in case I check
out. We must use it because the longer we lump along with Google, the more
stuff we have and the harder it will be to move. We need more control and more
options.

The question is does anyone else out there use DocuWiki who could step in
temporarily if needed? The wiki should just keep functioning without attention
(right?) but maybe not. They are also hesitant because a resident designed a
calendar for us that was wonderful but it used three programs and only he knew
how to change things. And he moved. And he forgot how he set it up. Bad
experience.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines