Re: Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 15:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jun 11, 2019, at 1:43 PM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

> https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdf/S2211-1247(19)30662-X.pdf

This is wonderful. I think we need a gallery on the website of all these.
“Cohousing" is used 65 times. I don’t think spell check switched with
“cohabitation."

My favorite sentences:

> Finally, it is now well established that microbiota can be horizontally
> transferred from one mouse to another by simply cohousing the animals. During
> cohousing, animals may feed on feces (as a result of coprophagy) or ingest
> feces by self-grooming. Cohousing is now a widely accepted method for
> normalizing microbial communities; it is a simple and convenient approach,
> which allows for separately breeding distinct mouse lines and then cohousing
> upon weaning.

> Our results show that cohousing results in near-complete normalization of the
> fecal microbiotas of the mice within 28 days, with the majority of bacterial
> OTUs normalized after 7 days of horizontal transmission. However, our studies
> do not rule out that the possibility that differences in the microbiota
> composition may exist at other specific locations or niches within the
> intestine even after cohousing.

The lesson is that unless you want to change your biome, don’t each each others
feces.

I think you have to respond Ann. This is like impeachment — clearly a violation
but is it worth it. I think the authors might be embarrassed down the line.
Though it looks like a print publication so they may be stuck.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC