Re: Care Committee (?)
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
A Care committee is a good idea.
You definitely want the creation of social and get-to-know-you events.

If you want to deal with conflict I suggest considering these questions
• Is the team tasked with individual conflicts and/or community-based
conflicts? Sometimes facilitation or another team handles community-based
while another team handles individual conflict. The strategies are quite
different.
• Is the team going to be reactive or proactive? That is, do you see
conflict brewing and ask people to resolve that, or do you wait to be asked
to help with a conflict.

I'd have a plenary discussion of what it means that your team can come and
tell an individual that they think there is conflict brewing. Then, if the
community *wants* the team to be pro-active, within your team you'll have
some discussion over time on how you can tell if its time to address the
issue.

One trap of pro-active work is that you will be pulled in to *solve* the
conflict. Conflict between individuals is only solved if the two
individuals engage with each other about it. Others can't solve it for
them. (This doesn't mean I'm against having the proactive team you've
suggested, I just think it's difficult.)

If you chose to be pro-active by having community discussions about an
issue that two people are in conflict over, how will you do that without
implying that people are taking sides?

These are all things you can do, it just takes some thought as to exactly
how you would engage them. Have the potential team meet and think about
some examples and how you would go about dealing with that to help
fine-tune your idea.
(Also it will get fined tuned over time, no need to think of *every*
example.)

I agree with others who have said that the people who will make community
connections happen often are quite different from those who might engage in
helping individuals deal with conflict.

At Mosaic Commons our community support team mostly limits its work to
individual conflicts, and to being reactive--we help people who ask for
help.

Liz Magill
Mosaic-Commons Cohousing in Berlin, MA