Re: Report on switching from sanitizer to dishwashers
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 08:18:38 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck Harrison <cfharr [at] gmail.com>
after putting the attached image online with link below.
(cohousing-L does not distribute attachments)

Our community is about half the size of Takoma Village (23 units) and we
have meals two or three times a week.

Our dishwasher is probably the kind that Takoma Village just got rid of
(see pic) at http://l.cohousing.org/dishwasher.jpg

It was ten years old when the community was formed (1999) and it
just keeps going. I guess thirty years of a few meals a week isn't really
much usage for a restaurant-grade machine. I don't know that anybody loves
it or hates it; it's kind of noisy but we're all used to that.

It takes 50 seconds to run a cycle on a standard 20x20 dish rack, so
dishwashing is kind of a continuous flow thing where rinsing, loading, and
putting away can be a fairly efficient multi-person & social activity. "Can
be" -- not saying it always is!

We worry vaguely about the unit eventually breaking down beyond economical
repair and the cost of a new replacement, but we have been assuming that
this is the right approach for our kitchen. Maybe we should be evaluating
alternatives like Sharon mentions.

Chuck
Duwamish Cohousing, Seattle