Re: Coho Tech Convener
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 13:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
If we are discussing platforms (I'm not actually sure what this thread is
about) ...
I'd like to see cohousing discussions move towards a message board/forum format
where you can have categories and long-term threads. The problem with the
current platforms (coho-l and Facebook) is that neither is very good for
finding past discussions or following threads. Search is inconsistent, people
change thread titles, and (especially in FB) good information sinks out of
sight before anyone sees it, to be lost forever.
If we had a message board setup, we could have long-term categories and threads
like this:
CH kitchen     Design     Dishwashers     FlooringLaundry room     Rent or buy
   Regular size or commercialPet policiesSales strategiesEtc.
This would capture information and make it easily accessible indefinitely.
People could start new threads if their question isn't covered.
Instead, we get the same questions posted every few weeks because nobody can
find previous info in the archives, and people with expertise stop
participating because they're tired of answering the same questions over and
over. (I see this in my neighborhood group, which moved from a message board to
FB because of convenience, but the quality, usefulness, and tone have really
deteriorated.)
Concerning communication -- I use Slack at work for certain things. It's fine
for quick exchanges but not so great for saving and retrieving information. I
steer discussions towards email if they get into an exchange of substantial
information that I might need to reference again in the future.
Katie Henry