Subject: Re: Coho Tech Convener
From: Henning Mortensen (hmortensengmail.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 04:47:27 -0700 (PDT)
I am very interested in the discussions that are going on about the use of
technology in cohousing. It is too bad I missed the session in Portland.

Like Sharon, I too prefer Groups.io and find it a very intuitive way of
carrying on a conversation. It has excellent handling of historical
conversations. I have used Slack as well and agree that it is more oriented
to information transfer and short messages than to conversation streams. I
am sure others feel that Slack is fine for these.

I would quickly choose Groups.io over cohousing-l based purely on the more
modern interface and technology. However, we need to be careful in jumping
to the latest and greatest as one thing we give up when we go for solutions
like Groups.io is the autonomy we get with a listserve such as cohousing-l.
Remember that Groups.io was created by the creator of Yahoo Groups. (He was
dismayed with what Yahoo did with his creation, so he made a new one.) We
risk losing our conversational history at the whim of the companies we rely
on.

One thing I miss on cohousing-l is the ability to spin off a new group for
the purpose of carrying on a side discussion. For example, I would very
much like there to be a sub-discussion on Coho Tech but short of starting a
new listserve, I don't see how to do this without Groups.io or similar.

Henning Mortensen, Prairie Spruce